Saturday, July 9, 2016

Swag Stickers

Hi friends! I am so excited to introduce Swag Stickers to you!

Where the idea came from: 
This product was inspired by a mixture of a two things:
1) Brag tags

2) My vocabulary board in my classroom (inspired by Pat Pavelka)
     If you follow me on social media, you’ve seen my Vocab Builders wall. This wall contains pictures of students flexing their arms with words on top of them. Throughout the year, we learn key vocabulary and take assessments to see if they truly know the vocabulary words. Students must identify the correct definition AND correctly use the word in a sentence to earn a word above their arm. By the end of the year they have many words above their arms.



     Alrighty, so Vocab Builders is great and all, but I wanted more. I felt like I could recognize many other wonderful achievements my students were reaching throughout the year. I mean, the idea of earning a few words above their arms really motivated them to learn their vocabulary. Just imagine the possibility of earning stickers for not only other subjects but behavior as well. (Yes, I'm still using Class Dojo, this is just an extra help for behavior management!) I’ve seen Brag Tags EVERYWHERE, and I love the idea. However, I wanted my students to be able to keep their achievements… to see them and be proud of themselves. Now I know some teachers have their students keep all of their earned Brag Tags on a necklace (brilliant idea by the way!), but I just didn’t think that would work for me and my classroom. Plus, I didn’t want to get rid of the fun wall in my classroom. It’s always a favorite! So, taking the idea behind Vocab Builders and Brag Tags… Swag Stickers was born. I know. The name might be a bit much, but I love it!






How to use Swag Stickers  in your classroom:
1) Swag Sticker Books OR Binders. 
We’re all about that data right?! And not just data, student-recorded data. Your students can store their stickers in their sticker books or sticker binders. This puts THEM in charge of their stickers. Not to mention, it will be so nice for them to have their stickers in an organized place. I’ve included both monthly and quarterly tracking sheets. Which one do you need? You decide. Think about how many stickers you’re going to be passing out in your classroom. For me personally, I anticipate only passing out 1-4 stickers a day. Max. I’m only giving stickers out for ABOVE AND BEYOND behavior and academic achievements. You’ve got to really SHINE for those stickers, kiddos. The stickers should be earned. If you just start passing them out like candy, the stickers are going to lose their zest and respect. Have a student who is super low in math, but finally got that B they worked so hard for?! STICKER. See a random act of kindness happening in your classroom?! STICKER. A kiddo brings in a case of Diet Coke for you?! STICKER. Okay, just kidding about that last one. Kids can’t bribe you for stickers. Resist the temptation. 

2) Bulletin Board. This is how I’ll be displaying my students’ stickers in my classroom. 

I love the flexing arm idea because it shows their “STRONG SKILLS!” The kids' stickers will go above their arms! I take their pictures on the first day of school and then print them on a 4x6. If I'm being honest, cutting them out is not the most fun you'll ever have, but just turn on Netflix and it becomes tolerable. Or better yet, have some of your new parents help you out!

Printing options
1) Print on Avery 6450 circle labels. Please make sure that “fit to page” is NOT selected when you go to print. You don’t want your stickers printing off of the circles.

2) Print on full sheet sticker paper. Cut out with scissors or a ONE INCH circle punch. 

3) Print on regular white paper. Cut out with scissors or a ONE INCH circle punch. Students can glue or tape their stickers to their tracking pages. 

I've created several different options for you to choose from in this new product of mine. From color/black and white, to different tracking pages and booklets. 







Purchase the sticker pack HERE! :)

--
B









18 comments:

  1. I saw these on <<>> today... I can't wait to get my hands on them. I'm ditching all my other classroom management systems and jumping right in with these {SWAG STICKERS} They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a half page size sticker collection page? I think it would be fun to make actual sticker books to collect all their stickers for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get your students to buy into this?? I really like this idea, but am afraid my students would think stickers are too babyish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use classroom stickers as well, but I LOVE how these are specific. I keep the buy in all year by having a sticker auction at the end. I have parents donate things and I buy somethings with my classroom money. The students use their stickers like money and place bids, the student who bids the highest wins the item. The students love this and it keeps them excited about collecting the stickers all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. It will cost me a fortune though as I teach in a super low income area. Our school gives us no money, and we can't ask parents for anything. As it is I have to buy the school supplies (except for pencils and crayons which my school gives us) for all 36 of my students. I will have to figure out how to make this work!

      Delete
  6. I"m trying to print the stickers and they are not lining up on my Avery labels. They come out a little up and to the right of the stickers on the Avery paper. Can anyone help me get these to print out correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you printing them in Adobe? Without selected "fit to page"??

      Delete
  7. Are these completely separate from class dojo or can students earn rewards based on swag stickers too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am personally using them separately, but some people are using the two together. For every ___ dojos, students can earn a dojo sticker. I don't think I'll do that in my classroom, but it is an option. In my room if a student is demonstrating amazing leadership skills, I may give them a sticker AND a dojo point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do students set their goal? Is it individual or a class goal?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do students set their goal? Is it individual or a class goal?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently bought this and love it, But how do you use the point stickers? Also how do you use the 100 subject stickers, is this if the attain a 100 on an assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really, really, really want these for my new class but I'm in the UK and I can't get the Avery 6450 labels at all (well, I can get them from Amazon if I pay £45 but I'm not *that* fond of my class!!). Would you recommend printing on A4 sticker paper and hole-punching?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! I know this may be off topic, but what do you use for a "spelling system"? Do you follow a program or what do you use to write your own?

    Megan Barba
    Megan.barba@sumnerschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am very excited to use these! They are currently sitting in my wish list on TpT. I'm wondering if you found the bulletin board idea to be successful with the swag stickers? I will have 4 classes of 5th graders this year...so nearly 90 students (I teach only Science) but have lots of wall/cabinet space. I would love to find a way to display them but also for the students to keep their stickers at the end of each quarter. Maybe a strip of paper above each arm? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete