Thursday, July 21, 2016

5th Grade ELA Centers

Hi friends!

I wanted to share with you some of the changes I made to my ELA centers. After Jen Jones came to our school in June, I realized I needed to do a little revamping to my schedule and activities.

What's Different?
*I'm meeting with my kids for 30 minutes twice a week instead of once for 60 minutes.
*I've grouped spelling and vocabulary together. On the day that students are with me for 30 minutes, they will also be at the spelling and vocabulary center for 30 minutes. They will only complete ONE of the centers, NOT both! If a student in group one chooses to complete the spelling center on Monday, they will then complete the vocabulary center on Wednesday.
*I've added Genius Hour. Students will research ONE topic for several weeks. When they finish, they will be allowed to share their findings with the class during our ELA whole group block some time that week.

My kiddos complete an ELA center every day. I have a 20 minute whole group lesson before our centers start. We are usually working on our interactive notebooks from Lovin Lit. I have all of her literacy notebooks- they're truly amazing. Check them out here! After students complete their Friday center, we reflect on the activities and skills covered that week. The students fill out a reflection sheet that will tell me how they felt about their centers, and if they need extra assistance with anything. I use those sheets along with my teacher reflection sheet and notes (filled out daily) to decide if any reteach or enrichment needs to take place the following week. *Both sheets are within my Math/ELA board packet on TpT. See the link below.

Below you will find my weekly schedule.
Pink= length of time
Purple= activity
Blue= link to resource

If you see that a purple activity does not have a correlating link, that means it is something I have created for my classroom.

For a PDF with clickable links to the blue resources, click HERE.

If you are interested in my math and ELA centers board, click here. Here is a picture of my board from last year.
This year, I will be making two boards instead of one. I will post a picture once it's finished! :)

--
B

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! Will you posting your math centers as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! What do the M.A.T.H l. Letters stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! What do the M.A.T.H l. Letters stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your math rotation. How does your ELA rotation work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your weblog, Its great to find not absolutely everyone is just posting a ton of rubbish these days!
    buy a panasonic electronic whiteboard

    ReplyDelete
  6. The PDF with links were awesome! I moved to 4th this year, but most of the links are perfect! You saved me a ton of searching/creating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you keep your kids busy for an entire 60 minutes while you are working with other students? I don't think I could get my kids to work on writing for a whole hour independently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have faith in them; they may surprise you! :) I trust my kids, and I tell them that every single day. I have high expectations for them, and they know they need to be working at all times. It's really easy for me to see if they're working or not, but truly, I rarely have any issues with getting them to stay focused on writing. Along with respecting my expectations, a big part of that focus comes from having choice in what they write about. Writing shouldn't be a painful task, they need to be excited about it. I also make sure they hold each other accountable with their centers (staying on task, checking one another's work, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does your district use a reading program? I am trying to figure out how to do this while using Reading Street.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you do whole group reading/ writing focus lessons everyday along with this? Thank you for sharing, I am a first year teacher and it is so helpful to see other teachers schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you do whole group reading/ writing focus lessons everyday along with this? Thank you for sharing, I am a first year teacher and it is so helpful to see other teachers schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good article!! The same is for us guys, too. I'm in my seventies and am enjoying it because of these truths. In fact, I am trying to find Miss You SMS. Do you might have?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I love your center ideas! I am curious if you also have separate reading and writing workshop times. I would love to know! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete