Thursday, June 9, 2016

Keep the Quote

Hey friends! I've been tackling a lot of my Instagram questions through Periscope, but I thought it would be beneficial to create some blog posts as well! So, here we go.

One of my favorite parts about my classroom is an idea that I didn't even think of... one of my amazing students did

"KEEP THE QUOTE" 

As soon as he brought up the idea I knew we just HAD to bring it to life. The only question was, "How do we do this?" You can imagine my excitement when I found the amazing roll at Target three days later. I may have screamed "OH MY GOSH, THIS IS PERFECT," but I can't remember. This roll is seriously perfect for this concept, as the quotes need to be kept after being displayed. The paper came with it, but I refilled it using our school butcher paper after it ran out (I just cut it to the size I needed).


What is Keep the Quote?
Keep the Quote is a fun, weekly goal-setting system used in my classroom. Students bring in quotes that they think our class should use as a motto for that particular week. My kiddos bring in their quotes on Monday morning. (It is completely optional if they bring one or not.) If there is an overwhelming amount of quotes, I simply just put their quotes in a bin and select approximately four to read theirs aloud.  The students read their quotes aloud and then we vote to see which quote should be our motto for the week. We briefly talk about what each quote means to us, too. If you're worried about students simply picking a quote because their friend brought it in, you can just read the quotes aloud and reveal whose quote won at the end. I write the quote on the paper during my prep or after school on Monday. On Friday, we then review our success following the quote and select one student to actually KEEP THE QUOTE. Get it?! Anyway, the student selected has to be someone who was really demonstrating that quote. I like to have my students that brought in the winning quote to be the one to select the recipient (I help them with this at first). The student has to go up on our stage and explain the quote's meaning once again and the reason that they are awarding the quote to the recipient. The paper is ripped off, given to that student, and then a new quote is added the following week.

My students truly love Keep the Quote, and I hope yours will, too! :)

What's the next blog post you'd like to see??

 Happy Quoting,
B

44 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I will have a student aid next year, so I can use her to design the quote (my handwriting is terrible). Thx for posting this. Found you on Instagram and love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please tell us more about your first couple of weeks at the beginning of the year?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great suggestion! :) I thought about scoping that as well!

      Delete
  3. Any tips for people with less than creative handwriting?? Mine looks like chicken scratch ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have your kids write them! :) Then there's no pressure on you to make them look pretty!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where in target did you find this roll? Did you have to cut down your butcher paper to refill?

    Thank you for all of the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was in the dollar spot. I'm wondering if a simple paper towel roll holder will work... I'll check the Pinterest world and let you know.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry! I meant the roll of paper! 😁 I should have been more clear. :p

      Delete
    3. I just saw paper refills this week in the dollar spot.

      Delete
  6. Blog about how you use close reading and the kits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there anyway to see your periscopes besides periscope or after they expire? I always hear about it too late.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to hear more about your class meeting and what that looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that you use your Cricut for so many things in your classroom! I would love to hear from you about which Cricut machine you use and details about all of the fonts. I am currently interested in purchasing a Cricut, but unsure as to which would be best in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More about your class meetings! I have so many questions questions about them! You could even just do it as a blog if that makes it easier on you because I know you have a lot going on! Thank you for the inspiration...have you thought about incorporating flexible seating in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  11. More about your class meetings! I have so many questions questions about them! You could even just do it as a blog if that makes it easier on you because I know you have a lot going on! Thank you for the inspiration...have you thought about incorporating flexible seating in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What did you use to adhere the paper roller securely to the whiteboard?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brittney, I love this idea..and the name is so catchy!! I have always loved quotes and was already planning on doing a quote of the week, so it was really easy to jump on this bandwagon...and Target Dollar Spot to the rescue! Got the goods!

    Hey- just wanted to get your input- as an ELA teacher, I was thinking of seeing which student did the best response to the quote in their journals and then giving it to that student to keep. Thoughts?? Will you please do a periscope on this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did you mount it on your whiteboard?
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow her on Instagram and read her response to someone else asking the same thing. This is the response "This is on my wall. I attached it with command strips!😄" I hope this helps!

      Delete
  17. I am curious to know how you mounted it as well. I found the exact roll in my Target last night and I screamed it's Mrs. 5ths! My husband thinks I am crazy now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  18. I am curious to know how you mounted it as well. I found the exact roll in my Target last night and I screamed it's Mrs. 5ths! My husband thinks I am crazy now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! I just used command strips! It held up all year! :)

      Delete
  19. I would love to see more quotes that you used

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was wondering which font you used for the Keep the Quote letters?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are such an inspiration!!! This will be my second year of teaching, however my first time beginning the year with my own class by myself (I was hired last fall in the middle of my student teaching to take over for another teacher). I have tons of experience in first grade, but this year I will be in 3rd grade. Do you have any suggestions for how to set expectations and get my year started the best it can, along with building a good classroom community?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this. I think I am going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am obsessed with this idea! You are amazing. I came across your Instagram today and I'm hooked! What section of target did you find the roll holder??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wondering what size font you use for your quote letters??
    Your classroom looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you have a list of the quotes you have used? Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where do you find replacement paper for this?

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome! What is the font you used for the title "Keep the Quote?"

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this! I love seeing the different quotes you use!
    Any chance of you possibly making a TPT document for it with the various quotes you use?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't wait to use this in my classroom! Could you further clarify...do you pick which student keeps the quote at the end of the week or does the class decide?

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is awesome! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a brilliant writing and very pleased to find this site. I couldn’t discover to much different information on your blog. I will surely be back again to look at some other important posts that you have in future.
    Trust Issues Quotes

    ReplyDelete